A housing cooperative is a kind of real estate company founded on cooperative principles. Like other cooperatives, its goal is to better serve its participants (employees as well as users). It rests, for decision-making purposes, on the democratic principle “one person, one voice.” Employees and users thus have equal rights.
A housing cooperative is an ordinary multi-person dwelling (usually a building)—small or large, new or old—inhabited by people who are both tenants and the building’s collective owners.
FURTHER READING (SOME KEY ACTORS):
- In Quebec: la Confédération québécoise des coopératives d’habitation: website (fr).
- In Switzerland: la Coopératives d’habitation: CODHA website (fr).
- In Kenya: The National Cooperative Housing Union: NACHU website.
- In France: Habicoop: Habicoop website (fr).
- In Slovakia: Information on ICA’s website – SZBD’s website.
- In Egypt: Information on ICA’s website.